Re: [opensuse] Resources being sucked...
On 08/01/14 21:46, auxsvr@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wednesday 08 of January 2014 21:28:01 John Bennett wrote:
Generally my PC runs quite well (Opensuse 13.1 x64, i5, 4 GB ram, KDE,
all pretty well up to date), but doing some resource intensive tasks
(copying large amounts of data, locally, ie from internal disk to usb2
external disk), basically kills the PC - Can't really be used while the
task is ongoing. Any music being played becomes very choppy (off more
than on), mouse moves in fits and starts across the screen etc.
Basically, I walk away while it's happening.
Happens with most resource hungry tasks, including file copies, running
VirtualBox, any video operations (rendering, etc)
Any ideas?
Does this only occur with disk I/O, especially when this involves I/O between
fast and slow media? What is your graphics card?

Thanks.
Regards,
Peter
Don't believe this is ONLY disk i/o, but shows up noticeably then, as it is a fairly common task...
Graphics card is onboard Intel (i5)