Re: [opensuse] 'restart' /var/log/messages (trivial question)
  • From: John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 12:12:40 -0800
On 1/8/2014 12:08 AM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
This box is in our company's DMZ. All system are audited by a external
company. They report that the versions of the software (for services like
http, smtp, imap etc) are too old. They must be updated if they are to
certify
whatever it is they certify. So I have been given no option. I cannot imagine
updating these apps on a 10.0 system that was never set up for development
(no
-devel packages for anything - if that layout was even in place back in 10.0).

I've seen these kind of "audits" too. They are usually a scam by your credit
card
clearing company.

One of these audit companies told on of our customers they were
running old smtp software and had to update. But he was actually running the
very
latest versions.

He just looked at his logs and firewalled the two netblocks the audit company
was using for their tests. Problem solved.