[opensuse] Resources being sucked...
Not sure if there is an answer to this, but....
I seem to have an issue with the amount of resources being allocated to tasks.
Generally my PC runs quite well (Opensuse 13.1 x64, i5, 4 GB ram, KDE, all pretty well up to date), but doing some resource intensive tasks (copying large amounts of data, locally, ie from internal disk to usb2 external disk), basically kills the PC - Can't really be used while the task is ongoing. Any music being played becomes very choppy (off more than on), mouse moves in fits and starts across the screen etc. Basically, I walk away while it's happening.
Happens with most resource hungry tasks, including file copies, running VirtualBox, any video operations (rendering, etc)
Any ideas?
Thanks.