Re: [opensuse] 'restart' /var/log/messages (trivial question)

On 07/01/14 10:04, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

I admit this is a strange and perhaps unnecessary question, but...

I have a openSUSE 10.0 server (was it openSUSE at that time) that is running
fine. It has been up for over a year. A while back, the root file system
filled
up (ftp activity) and some log files are no longer being written to. For
example, /var/log/messages. I know that I could reboot and all would be well.
But this is Linux. Surely there is another way to restart activity to this
file
without resorting to a system restart. Any suggestions?

# rcsyslog restart

Ph. A.

--

*Philippe Andersson*