[opensuse] 'restart' /var/log/messages (trivial question)
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 10:04:01 +0100

I admit this is a strange and perhaps unnecessary question, but...

I have a openSUSE 10.0 server (was it openSUSE at that time) that is running
fine. It has been up for over a year. A while back, the root file system filled
up (ftp activity) and some log files are no longer being written to. For
example, /var/log/messages. I know that I could reboot and all would be well.
But this is Linux. Surely there is another way to restart activity to this file
without resorting to a system restart. Any suggestions?

FYI, I will be replacing this system with an oS 13.1 system as soon as I am
happy that all services are working as they did in 10.0. That is a work in
progress. Until then, I have a silly goal of seeing how long the system can
run without a reboot. Previous reboots have been because of moving office or
relocation of the machine. It just runs and runs.

--
Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Ramböll RST / Systems