Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 10:20:39 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2014-01-05 03:46, John Andersen wrote:
On 1/4/2014 6:13 PM, James Knott wrote:
John Andersen wrote:
That assumes that dnsmasq does not also have some built in way to
go around it. (I really don't know).

Dnsmasq is the specified DNS server. How does any app get around
that, other than going to the root servers etc.

I don't know that anything does get around that, but if anything
wanted to I imagine it would be the same way Dig or postfix gets
around nscd.

They simply use their own resolver instead of libc. getaddrinfo() et al
are synchronous, if you need to do a lot of lookups and remain
responsive, you do asynchronous lookups in parallel. For examples of
alternative resolvers, have a look at "adns" and "udns" . I prefer the
latter.

No way.

They get around nscd because nscd is not a DNS, it just replaces some
(not all) system calls with new functionality. When they do a DNS
call, whatever DNS is defined for the system, local, external or at
the other end of the world, responds. No way around that.

Being slightly petty, well, yes there is, but doesn't make a lot of
sense. Any application can talk to any nameserver it wants to, it
doesn't _have_ to look at /etc/resolv.conf.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.1°C)