Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
On 01/04/2014 06:41 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
you see, for me a local cache on my machine does a big, big, advantage,
because
any external DNS query takes about a second with my ISP.

Carlos, All,

For grins, I decided to see if I could get any further advantage running
dnsmasq on my laptop:

WAN LAN
----[router]---------[hub]---[rest of local subnet]
| | \
All but desired | bind/dhcpd/server
Ports Blocked | authoritive/caching
laptop
dnsmasq

The results were pretty much as I expected. Again requesting resolution of
trinitydesktop.org:

Setup: nameserver: 127.0.0.1 added as 1st nameserver in resolv.con
No entries in /etc/dnsmasq.conf
# dnsmasq -d

Results:

1st attempt nothing in laptop cache:

01:23 alchemy:~> dig @127.0.0.1 trinitydesktop.org
<snip>
;; Query time: 3 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)

2nd attempt:

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)

Without dnsmasq, I saw an average 2 msec Query time when answer was in my
local server cache (1 msec at times) across my wireless link. With dsnmasq, the
average Query time was 1 msec when information was cached on my laptop.

However, reading a follow-up from Felix, it was noted that dsnmasq does
provide additional flexibility to tailor ad-blocking on a per-machine basis
using http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/ blocking lists. (though you can also use a
hosts file formatted list from the same site to accomplish almost the same thing
with no dnsmasq running -- and -- it gives an alternative to deploying the block
subnet wide with their bind formatted file in my case.

Excellent thread - enjoyable and informative. Thanks to all.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.