Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
On 01/02/2014 04:11 PM, James Knott wrote:
Actually, it's a good job for any computer that's running all the time.
My firewall/router is an old i586 computer running openSUSE 11.4.
That's where ai run Dnscache, along with some other services.

+1

Any old box is plenty fast to serve as a firewall/router/dhcpd/bind server.
IIRC the Linux Desktop Router Project did benchmark testing on 386 boxes and CPU
latency was not an issue. The issue then/now was network I/O. An old Athlon
tbird, duron, 586 is more than enough processor for the job. Most of the older
core server apps were surprisingly efficient. In addition to firewall, etc...
the older boxes also serve well as fax and web servers. You can literally create
your firewall/router/dhcpd/bind server out of the spare parts you have laying
around.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.