Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
On 1/3/2014 1:53 PM, Christopher Myers wrote:
Or, if one of the address is inaccessible, the client *should* pick one of
the other addresses automatically.

Before we were able to purchase a Barracuda on campus, we just used DNS
round-robin to let the client randomly pick one of the three nodes in our
Tomcat cluster; if the node it chose was down for some reason, the client
would automatically hop over to one of the other addresses.

But DNS serves up exactly one IP address (to the best of my knowledge).

Customized applications might allow you to remember additional addresses,
in my day job, we develop a load balanced application server for a custom
application, and we provide the option of fail-over to any of the farm
servers should the principal server be down.

But AFAIK, DNS just serves one.

This presents a problem for busy web sites if the machine sitting at the
address served up by DHCP crashes. There are off-site services that take
care of this for you such as (picked at random)
http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/services/dns-failover-system-monitoring/
and usually these solutions have the ability to load balance
for you not by using DNS.
Amazon offers both fail-over and load-balance for their "route 53"
product line:
http://aws.typepad.com/aws/2013/05/amazon-route-53-elb-integration-dns-failover.html