Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:33:34 +0100
Greg Freemyer wrote:

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:
From my POV having an old or tiny box dedicated to DNS with a couple
of gigs of memory[1] with a -ing cache and a -ing long timeout will
'outperform' all of the above after a couple of days, provided I
don't turn it off at night.

Actually, the time to live value in the returned DNS reply will limit
any caching. I just did one test for Yahoo and it showed 34 seconds.
Another one showed 3 min 2 sec, so upstream caches will return a
varying
TTL depending on when they obtained the record. Those times are
nowhere near "overnight".

I had no idea TTLs were so short these days.

Some are, but the vast majority is in the 12-24 hours range (and
longer).

When I was admin'ing DNS 15+ years ago, a week was a very common TTL
(time-to-live).

I have not seen that for quite some time, a propagation delay of up to a
week it is impractical.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.2°C)