Re: [opensuse] optimizing resolv.conf
On 1/2/2014 5:19 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2014-01-03 02:08, Greg Freemyer wrote:

As to using the DNS server in the router, I've always assumed all it
did was forward your requests to the ISP for you. Do low end home
routers actually cache DNS queries?

Yes, they do. How many entries and for how long depends on how good they are,
ie, how much memory they have.

Verifying this would require doing queries and timing them. Maybe someone has
a test suite out there.

Naw, just put an old ethernet hub between the router and your provider, then
ethereal scanning for dns hits.
I did this a couple years ago when testing my in-house bind vs the dns cache in
a router.

Even the lamest old router I had did some amount of caching, but it was
dramatically better running bind
than the best router. It would literately cash for days and days, where as the
hardware router would
exceed its tables often within 10 minutes, sometimes on the same page, when
pre-fetch is turned on
in browsers, and you pull up a page like google news.