Re: [opensuse] legacy device support on modern motherboard and linux
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 07:45:39 +0200
On 2013-09-25 18:41 (GMT-0300) Cristian Rodríguez composed:
I have only used USB serial adapters and they do work just fine

Work, agree. Just fine, debatable. I've read far more than once in recent
years complaints from people who can't make their serial devices work via
serial to USB adapters. I have plenty of serial ports but no serial devices
matching such reports, so can't confirm any reports I've seen.

For GPS where the PPP (pulse per second) signal should be used, I do not think
USB works very well. It at all. If you are not using the GPS to accurately
set your clock, then this may not be a concern. Otherwise, it is and USB does
not work.

Having said that, we have had success with devices from these guys
(http://www.phidgets.com). The provide many interfaces via USB. Their drivers
work on Linux.

--
Yours sincerely,