Re: [opensuse] legacy device support on modern motherboard and linux
  • From: Robin Klitscher <robin.klitscher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 09:53:46 +1200
On 26/09/13 09:41, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 25/09/13 18:25, Istvan Gabor escribió:
Hello:

Most modern motherboards do not have serial, parallel, IDE, floppy, and even
PCI ports.

I guess there exist PCI-E expansion cards for serial, parallel, and IDE
connection.

The question is whether they are usable in linux.

Will e.g. a serial card work in linux with my serial modem or other old device
with serial port?
The same question applies to parallel and IDE connections.

Previously on this forum someone wrote that floppy PCI/PCI-E cards are not
working in linux. Do USB floppy work?

I have only used USB serial adapters and they do work just fine, USB
floppy drives will probably also work.

Indeed they do. I'm using a USB floppy right now - oS 12.3, 64-bit - in a modern machine with no intrinsic (or "internal") floppy drive.

--
Robin K
Wellington "Harbour City"