Re: [opensuse] oS 12.3 - why the long delay....
  • From: Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 01:29:45 +0930
On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 00:05:13 Basil Chupin wrote:
On 24/09/13 22:23, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
On 24/09/13 02:29, Per Jessen wrote:
[...]

Sorry - you go to Yast->Network devices - then edit the address
assignment mode for the individual device(s). Usually you will have
static, dhcpv4, dhcpv6 and 4+6. (all from memory, ymmv).

Thanks for this but the water is too cold and too deep so I'll stay in
the
boat where it is safe :-) .

You can "stay in the boat" where you may *never* reach shore, but the
described action does work as I have been using it for several years on my
server machine(s), which are still on 11.2.

That's nice.... for you :-) . But when one has never touched
anything-networking telling one to "edit address assignment mode...."
goes totally over the head.

Now, if someone posts a screenshot of YaST where such a change was done
then one can start to understand what "address assignment mode....."
means and where it is configured :-) .

BC

The suggestions that have been made operate on 2 different levels. My original
suggestion (disable IPV6 system wide) disables IPV6 functionality at kernel
level (as I understand it), hence the need for a reboot.

Others have suggested modifying the dhcp protocol per-interface, which is
easily achieved via Yast's Network Settings dialog (the same dialog where you
find the checkbox to disable IPV6 systemwide but on a different tab) or by
manually editing /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-<interface_name>.

If you want to understand what is going on under the hood, do what a real
sysadmin would do and hack the config files using vi/emacs/nano/<name-your-
preferred-text-editor> (after making a backup first, of course). ;-) On my oS
12.3 box the relevant file would be /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth0 but if
your system is using the new interface naming standard (en0p0 or
whatever)...well, you can figure it out. [Note: these files are writable only
by root].

Learning to administer your box via the CLI is really helpful. You never know
when you might need to know how to rescue a broken system. It's good to
practice on a non-critical (non-"production") box though if you can spare one,
because its really easy to break things too (but easy to fix if you remember -
or note - how it was before you changed it). :-)

RB.