Re: [opensuse] email archive transfer (was "Re: [opensuse] Email suggestions")
David T-G said the following on 09/24/2013 05:10 AM:

Your best bet is probably to use an IMAP server to export from kmail and
import to Tbird. I recently had to move years of mail archives for one
of my users who thought it would be wise to move to gmail; I just pointed
to the gmail IMAP address and hey, presto, it was just like more folders.
I can't imagine, for those of us who wouldn't want to wash years of email
through gmail, that setting up a temporary IMAP server locally would be
too very hard.

The use of an IMAP server is certainly the most general and flexible.
You can even run multiple readers into the same set of folders!

But in the specific there may be other solutions depending.

Such as: if the files can be stored in an mbox file or maildir directory ...

A very basic IMAP server is trivial to set up.
Something like Dovecot which is more powerful and can be pointed at many, many sources of differing types takes a bit of planning, reading of the documentation, and setup, but the results are worth it!