Re: [opensuse] oS 12.3 - why the long delay....
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 18:08:55 +0200
Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

В Sat, 21 Sep 2013 09:40:11 +0200
Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

Anton Aylward wrote:

Basil Chupin said the following on 09/20/2013 10:10 AM:
network.service took about 22 seconds to become active.

Yes I gathered that from what I saw when booting 13.1 Beta.

The question, of course, is what exactly, and why, should be
taking so much time to activate the network. I am not using the
new Network Manager (as far as I know) and there is nothing
special about my setup - a wired modem/router with 2 computers on
the LAN.

That question becomes 'what does it depend on?'

It could also be 'what actually does 'network.service' mean?
Does it just mean the Ethernet connection to the LAN?
Or does it include the network SERVICES such as DNS/NAMED, any
routing protocols and more?

afaik, network.service is the "old" sysvinit network startup, and
only about the network interfaces.

No, if NetworkManager is selected, network.service becomes alias for
NetworkManager.service

Sorry, you're right. I was wearing my server-cap.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.2°C)