Re: [opensuse] oS 12.3 - why the long delay....
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 09:40:11 +0200
Anton Aylward wrote:

Basil Chupin said the following on 09/20/2013 10:10 AM:
network.service took about 22 seconds to become active.

Yes I gathered that from what I saw when booting 13.1 Beta.

The question, of course, is what exactly, and why, should be taking
so much time to activate the network. I am not using the new Network
Manager (as far as I know) and there is nothing special about my
setup - a wired modem/router with 2 computers on the LAN.

That question becomes 'what does it depend on?'

It could also be 'what actually does 'network.service' mean?
Does it just mean the Ethernet connection to the LAN?
Or does it include the network SERVICES such as DNS/NAMED, any routing
protocols and more?

afaik, network.service is the "old" sysvinit network startup, and only
about the network interfaces.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.9°C)