Re: [opensuse] Problem with inactive RAID1 in Verify state
Am 19/09/13 14:23, schrieb Per Jessen:
Markus Egg wrote:

Am 19/09/13 12:32, schrieb Per Jessen:
Markus Egg wrote:

Am 13/09/13 01:02, schrieb Markus Egg:
Hello,

my Windows 7 crashed and put the fake-RAID1 in Verify-state.

Previously the verification of the fakeRAID1 was possible with SuSE
12.1 like this:

cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1] [raid0] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md126 : active raid1 sdc[1] sdd[0]
1953511424 blocks super external:/md127/0 [2/2] [UU]
[==>..................] resync = 10.5%
[(205884736/1953511556) finish=361.1min speed=80657K/sec

md127 : inactive sdc[1](S) sdd[0](S)
6056 blocks super external:imsm

unused devices: <none>

But now there is a different situation:
the whole thing does not boot to SUSE12.1, boot partiton is on some
SSD and it says that it does not find
/dev/disk/by-id/md-uuid-49818217:13c92065:79a2503c:31fc331d-part2
which is the boot partition according to /boot/grub/menu.lst .

But I guess the RAID1 is the problem to be solved first, since in
the Verify-state it does not come up: cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1] [raid0] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md126 : inactive sdc[1] sdd[0]
3907023112 blocks super external:-md127/0

md127 : inactive sdc[1](S) sdd[0](S)
6056 blocks super external:imsm

unused devices: <none>

I am not that RAID expert so any help to activate this fakeRAID1
and start verifying would be appreciated.

Any ideas how to get this Intel fake-RAID1 active again?

Isn't this more likely a job for some Intel utility or BIOS setup? I
have never played with mdadm and external raid setups though.

I have also thought of putting one of the fake-RAID1 HDDs out of the
machine, make a backup of the most important things (will take quite
long) with some USB-SATA-adapter and then try the BIOS setup of the
RAID.

I checked this: all the BIOS/UEFI Raid stuff completely wipes out the RAID disks
if you change anything.
:-(
Well, it's just a cheap fake-RAID1...

:-(
But since mdadm was once able to do the verification I have the idea
that this would be some better way to let mdadm switch on the
verification of the raid1.

Well, I have no experience with IMSM, but although mdadm appears to
understand the metadata, I think I would try the manufacturers tools
first. Especially as you can't even boot.

Finally I got Windows 7 on the SSD up again with some older Acronis Backup.
Afterwards the Intel tools under Windows made a verify and it seems to be
ok now. Under Windows the fake-RAID does not contain important system data
of Windows.

But somehow it is a bad thing that the Linux/OpenSuSE tools cannot manage such
an issue in an easy way and bring back a simple fake-RAID1.
mdadm is a complicated nightmare if you are not used to it.
It's not a good thing that I have to use Windows to get a fake-RAID1 back.
:-(

The main reason that it did not boot, was the /etc and / on the fakeRAID1.
Because the fakeraid did not come up, the /etc was not there and therefore
fstab was not readable, which resulted in /boot not being known to the system.
:-(
Even if I mounted /boot (on a SSD), all the important stuff would have been on
the fake-RAID.
I guess I will have to put / and /opt, /usr and so on onto the SSD ( /var is
already there) and only keep /home on the fakeRAID1.
But this is a complete new system setup.
:-(

regards
ME