Re: [opensuse] Why does asking for a couple of programs install the universe?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 02:41:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Wednesday, 2013-09-18 at 19:13 -0400, Michael Fischer wrote:

Some unpleasant experiences with yast/zypper today.

on a perfectly fine 12.1, I did `zypper up chromium`,

12.1 can not be fine - there are no updates for it, out of maintenance.

After the basic install of 12.3, I used yast to download
VLC, Virtualbox, pidgin and tree. This somehow required
1040 packages, including gnumeric, kde-wallpapers and gnucash-docs.
Just to name a few really silly ones. No way in any sane universe
those packages "needed" by VLC, Virtualbox, pidgin and tree.

Some might be updates that were pending for 12.3.

Another posibility: if you install, for example, a system with KDE, and then you ask for a package that happens to be from Gnome, then it usually brings in a lot of dependencies.

I can understand the billion libxyz's getting installed, and that
the dependency management is a lovely slice of hell, but really,
was all this necessary in any way?

In those cases I try to deselect some of those those absurd packages. If yast does not complain, it stays off.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.