Re: [opensuse] Improved performance with NVidia drivers
On 09/18/2013 01:48 AM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 04:33:43 PM James Knott wrote:

/snip/
We install openSUSE from our own image made with KIWI. We always have the
nvidia driver repo enabled when we make these images so the nvidia driver is
always there from the start. I suspect that you had the nouveau driver, which
is the default one gets with openSUSE. This is because nvidia will not let
distros distribute their drivers. So there is always the step you did to get
theis drivers. I cannot see the benefit to nvidia for making this be the way
it
is.

PCLOS has nvidia drivers in the repo. One line (of four) from Synaptic reads:

"dkms-nvidia173 nonfree 173.14.37-1pclos20 8208 kB ... NVIDIA kernel module
for GeForce FX based cards"

Don't know what other distros do, but NVidia seems to have let PCLOS distribute
drivers.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley