Re: [opensuse] oS 12.3 - why the long delay....
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 15:48:35 +0200
On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
...when the boot process reaches the stage 'Starting Login Service'?

I have noticed this for quite some time but hadn't bothered about this until
now.

When the system is booting there is a pause of 21.7 seconds when the kernel
messages on the screen show 'Starting Login Service'. After this pause the
login screen is reached in about 3 seconds.

Anybody know why there is this long pause, please?

I really don't remember when this started but if it is of any relevance this
delay is present even in the just-upgraded kernel 3.11.1-2.

BC

Do you have a drive or partition defined in the fstab or elsewhere
that isn't accessible at boot? I've encountered this when I had my
NAS drive set to be mounted via NFS. If the drive was off at boot,
the boot sequence would pause for about 20 seconds waiting for it to
respond. Once it hit the timeout, it would continue, sending the
mount task to the background.

This was on 12.1 I think... it's been a while since I've encountered
this. All I can really think of at the moment.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, KDE 4.11