Re: [opensuse] Improved performance with NVidia drivers
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 07:48:22 +0200
On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 04:33:43 PM James Knott wrote:
I have an Nvidia GEForce 7200 video card in my computer. Ever since I
upgraded from openSUSE 11.x to 12.x, I have noticed a severe performance
hit. Indications in this group were that it might be a video driver
issue. I tried both the Nvidia and Nouveau drivers, but they didn't
make much difference. I just added the Nvidia repository and went with
their drivers (I had used that repository with 11.x and earlier). What
an incredible increase in performance!!! I can't believe it's the same
computer. Even even speedtest.net shows a considerable improvement,
going from about 2 - 5 Mb/s download to 31! (other, newer computers get
about 35). It's absolutely amazing what proper video drivers can do.
Perhaps whoever's responsible for the drivers included with the distro
should take a 2nd look at their work. They absolutely kill performance,
compared to the ones from the Nvidia repository. The performance was
often so bad that I was thinking about buying a new computer. Now I
won't have to.

It would have been interesting to know what drivers you were using when the
system was so slow. Perhpas the first time you installed the nvidia driver the
nouveau was not properly blacklisted.

We install openSUSE from our own image made with KIWI. We always have the
nvidia driver repo enabled when we make these images so the nvidia driver is
always there from the start. I suspect that you had the nouveau driver, which
is the default one gets with openSUSE. This is because nvidia will not let
distros distribute their drivers. So there is always the step you did to get
theis drivers. I cannot see the benefit to nvidia for making this be the way it
is.

--
Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer