[opensuse] Improved performance with NVidia drivers
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 16:33:43 -0400
I have an Nvidia GEForce 7200 video card in my computer. Ever since I
upgraded from openSUSE 11.x to 12.x, I have noticed a severe performance
hit. Indications in this group were that it might be a video driver
issue. I tried both the Nvidia and Nouveau drivers, but they didn't
make much difference. I just added the Nvidia repository and went with
their drivers (I had used that repository with 11.x and earlier). What
an incredible increase in performance!!! I can't believe it's the same
computer. Even even speedtest.net shows a considerable improvement,
going from about 2 - 5 Mb/s download to 31! (other, newer computers get
about 35). It's absolutely amazing what proper video drivers can do.
Perhaps whoever's responsible for the drivers included with the distro
should take a 2nd look at their work. They absolutely kill performance,
compared to the ones from the Nvidia repository. The performance was
often so bad that I was thinking about buying a new computer. Now I
won't have to.