Re: [opensuse] KDE WM appears to have died
On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 08:16:19 PM jdd wrote:
Le 17/09/2013 20:10, Richard a écrit :
Thanks for your attention and any assistance.

is this a desktop? if yes, try installing 12.3 from scratch or try a
live cd

upgrading 11.4 to 12.3 is a thing I don't want to do

jdd

Yes, it is a desktop. More info just tried. Issue appears to be Plasma. I
can log in as root and kde screen comes up and is functional. I am well aware
that root is not a place I want to stay, given I have barely enough knowledge
to become dangerous to myself.

Error message from plasma says, "...closed unexpectedly...
Details: Executable: kdeinit4 PID: 6743 Signal: Segmentation Fault(11)."

I do know that seg faults are bad. I did try to follow the directions to
submit the info to the plasma team but stopped when it asked to install other
programs, not wanting to further confuse a system that was not working (me).

Update has already been done. I will try the live CD, assume that should work
as it appears to me that the issue lies with my user account since root seems
to work fine.

I have been aware in the past of not wanting to update from whole version
numbers, but to prefer single releases for update. Generally, my approach now
has been, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Was very happily running 9.3 before
moving up to 10.x, then to 11.4 to add printer functions. Now to 12.3 to fix
this login issue.

Richard