Re: [opensuse] Hard disks in vertical position?

Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday, September 07, 2013 07:17:14 PM Istvan Gabor wrote:
2013. szeptember 7. 15:11 napon "Carlos E. R."
<carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
írta:
Years ago I remember that hard disks had to be positioned
horizontally,
printed board facing down. The documentation said so. If you wanted
place them vertically, the documentation also specified which face
had to
look down, but warned that the wear would be worse.

So I always put them horizontally, without thinking.

But I'm about to place one vertically, and I don't see any mention
of this
in the documentation. Have things changed, or have I missed
something in
the docs?

I'm using seagate:

Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 (AF)
Device Model: ST500DM002-1BD142

Hello:

HP Proliant microserver has slots for hard disk in vertical position.
Therefore I think either horizontal or vertical position is OK.

We use a few chassis where the disks are mounted vertical. These are
used in
vehicles on roads of varying quality, meaning they have been exposed to

various influences all the time. So far we have not had a problem.

Roger,

Do you use normal drives? Or laptop drives?

Laptop drives are designed to take more physical abuse.

Greg