Re: [opensuse] what to do after zypper dup
Felix Miata said the following on 09/14/2013 11:01 AM:
On 2013-09-14 10:15 (GMT-0400) Anton Aylward composed:

Restarting the kernel needs a reboot just as installing a new kernel as
part of installing a new distribution needs a reboot. No way around
that.

??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kexec

ROTFLMAO!

<quote>
This avoids the long times associated with a full reboot
</quote>

*WHAT* long times?

Then we have

<quote>
the new kernel will overwrite the memory of the currently running one, while it is still executing
</quote>

At the very least that means tables and pointers and the state of processes.

Thanks you, Felix, but when I do a risk assessment, the risk of annoying people with corrupted kernel tables causing lost or corrupted work vs the the risk of annoying them by asking them to logout for a reboot that will take maybe 2 minutes ... I'd go for the latter.
People will get over that more easily than they will corrupted data.

And anyway, getting back to the OP's issue: kernel updates are rarer than updates to libraries and applications.

--
How long did the whining go on when KDE2 went on KDE3?

The only universal constant is change. If a species can not adapt it
goes extinct. That's the law of the universe, adapt or die.
-- Billie Walsh, May 18 2013