Re: [opensuse] Does chown work on directories on a NAS that uses cifs?
  • From: Ted Byers <r.ted.byers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 11:37:03 -0400
On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM, lynn <lynn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2013-09-14 at 10:41 -0400, Ted Byers wrote:
I have traced one of my troubles to one of ownership of a directory
and it's contents. MySQL requires ownership of the data directory.
This I found out the hard way.

I ran 'sudo chown -R' on the directory in question on that NAS, but
after I did so, Linux still seems to think that root still owns the
directory and its contents. Why? And how should I fix this?

Hi
chown will work if smb.conf on the NAS allows it. Do you have access to
smb.conf for that directory on the NAS? Does the NAS have a control
panel for the samba shares maybe? Post smb.conf if you can.
HTH
L x

OK, where do I find that file. Dolphin doesn't show such a file, at
least in the directory to which the mount (in fstab) is pointing.

How does samba fit into the mix of NAS, cifs, and Suse? I did not ask
for samba when I installed Suse 12.3, and it would not have occured to
me to do anything with samba when the instructions I have received for
the NAS say nothing about it, referring only to mount and cifs.

There is a control panel for the NAS, but I will have to reboot to get
into it (because the browser on my Windows box (which I use for
communications), is acting up).

Thanks

Ted