Re: [opensuse] restarting X server in openSUSE 12.2 with systemd
  • From: Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 09:44:59 +0400
On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM, Cristian Rodríguez
<crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
El 11/09/13 21:21, Felix Miata escribió:

Written scripts, mature too. Sunk cost.

people that say this, have invariable never worked in the guts of a
distribution.

So? Multi-user and graphical are clear enough, but who came up with
target to summarize an operational configuration easily visualized via
the simple chkconfig -l matrix? The word's usage is not clear to me, and
thus, not easily memorable.

There is a complete stack to visualize what systemd does.

No, there is not. There is no way to answer the question - what
happens when you try to start/stop unit *In current state*. Please
show me how I can test - what will systemd do when you shutdown the
system. Which units in which order will be stopped (and started!)?

There is halfhearted support for emulating "booting into specific
target" with "systemd --test" but no way to start from some existing
state (snapshot).

At least, recent versions finally provided more or less usable way to
visualize dependency tree, but you still need to sit down and follow
the tree manually ...

systemd-analyze plot > sd.svg

if that's not enough

Of course not. This just shows what happened already, not what is
configured to happen. This is far away from chkconfig --list output.

systemctl dot | dot -Tsvg > systemd.svg

read the svg files with a modern browser.

Do not take word "visualize" too literally.

Still not enough ?

boot with init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-bootchart
and then read the svg files in /run/log

Again - I want to know what will be kicked off when I execute
"systemct start one-of-dozens-of-unit-files-lying-around". Please show
me how I can do it.