Re: [opensuse] restarting X server in openSUSE 12.2 with systemd
On 2013-09-12 00:33 (GMT-0300) Cristian Rodríguez composed:

Felix Miata composed:

Written scripts, mature too. Sunk cost.

people that say this, have invariable never worked in the guts of a
distribution.

That may be, but it still can be a lot easier for someone who is not a programmer and who learned what it means last century to remember what 3 on cmdline does than what to type at a Grub menu that can substitute for it.

So? Multi-user and graphical are clear enough, but who came up with
target to summarize an operational configuration easily visualized via
the simple chkconfig -l matrix? The word's usage is not clear to me, and
thus, not easily memorable.

There is a complete stack to visualize what systemd does.

By visualize I meant an answer to a question arising working at a shell prompt, usually in runlevel 3.

systemd-analyze plot > sd.svg

if that's not enough

MC on tty3 won't open it.

systemctl dot | dot -Tsvg > systemd.svg

No exit until Ctrl-C. Only 837 bytes.

read the svg files with a modern browser.

Defeats my needs. Far more often than not when I want something from chkconfig -l output, X isn't running.

Still not enough ?

boot with init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-bootchart
and then read the svg files in /run/log

Without X available, viewable how? One of the advantages of working on a vtty cmdline or in MC is a fullscreen's absence of distractions along with nice big easy to read text.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/