[opensuse] MySQL doesn't seem to like NAS
Thanks to the advice I received in this forum, I have succesfully
edited fstab so that my NAS is properly mounted when my Linux boxes
reboot. I have tested this by creating simple text files and saving
them to directories on the NAS.

I then used MySQL Workbench to tell MySQL to put all it's data on the
NAS, and when I check my.cnf, that worked as expected. However, from
that point onward, MySQL has refused to start. What I get is an error
message saying only that it failed to start, but nothing to indicate
why or how to fix it.

I asked about this on the Google mysql newsgroup, but I now see that
traffice there is so low, I may not live long enough to see a
response. Thus, I am hoping that there are enough MySQL users here
who know well how to administer MySQL on Suse 12.3 and who can tell me
a) how to fix this and b) what the correct procedure is to have MySQL
store all it's data on my NAS (and whether or not the same procedure
would work on Ubuntu).

I'd remind those who respond, I am a programmer and know almost
nothing about administering Linux boxes (I am still learning the
basics of Linux system administration it seems).

Thanks

Ted