Re: [opensuse] restarting X server in openSUSE 12.2 with systemd
Felix Miata said the following on 09/11/2013 03:23 PM:
On 2013-09-11 13:55 (GMT-0400) Anton Aylward composed:

the concept of runlevels is obsolete.

So, what complicated mechanism will or have the the systemd people come up
with to replace the simplicity of S or 1 or 2 or 3 or 5 on cmdline to
override the default runl^H^H^H^Htarget? :-p

Well lets see, how simple are S, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6?
They actually hide a whole pile of shell scripting.
You've traded simplicity of expression for (a) obscurity of meaning and (b) the need to be a programmer to make any adjustments

What does the systemd approach offer instead?

Well for a start there's clarity of meaning that is absent from the sysvinit method:

We've got

multi-user.target
or graphical.target

either of which may linked normally to default.target
depending on whether you are running a workstation or a server.
That seems clearer to me than "3" or "5".
And
reboot.target
seems clearer than "6"

Then we have
shutdown.target

Between those extremes there is
hibernate.target

What systemd also offers are ways to turn on and off specific subsystems
http-daemon.target
sound.target
mail-transfer-agent.target
network.target
and more.

Personally I think that the setup of systemd in terms of what a target requires and what should precede it, as well as explicit documentation references, is much simpler than the shell script approach used by sysVinit or BSD. I say this as someone who has been writing shell script since the UNIX V6 days. Systemd is much easier to configure and debug and less prone to typographic errors because it is much more regular and has a remarkably simple syntax. It is also much easier to test and debug than shell scripting.