Re: [opensuse] Is it possible to send email with postfix without DNS?
Quoting Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Carlos E. R. said the following on 09/01/2013 09:24 AM:
I wanted to, previously, because setting up bind is such a hassle... and
because the machine is very low on ram.

ROTFLMAO!

The machine from the Closet of Anxieties under my desk, the single
core 800MHz job that supports, as I said, Bind/DNS, DHCP, fetchmail,
VNC server and xfce, SSHD, Postfix, Dovecot and NFS, is now running
with just 500M[1]. I saw the load average go up to this morning
while running fetchmail though spamassassin, 16 NFS mounts active,
mail flowing out. It actually reached 0.9.

This machine is running Mageia with a 3.4.52 kernel. Perhaps its
that Mageia is dramatically more efficient than openSuse :-) :-) :-)

So I think you underestimate the capabilities.
Either that or you are basing your estimates on one of
a) how MS-Windows performs in similar situations
b) how a Linux machine that is overloaded running X performs

Having encountered (b) I can sympathise. Bus the kind of server I'm
talking about is headless and doesn't need X. Heck, this one
doesn't need VNC :-)

Postfix (w/o Spamassassin) runs comfortably on a 150MHz Pentium equivalent w/
64MB of RAM. X usable, but the video card labored - flicker at any kind of
refresh rate.

Jeffrey