Re: [opensuse] Is it possible to send email with postfix without DNS?
Quoting Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Sunday, 2013-09-01 at 08:39 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
Werner Flamme said the following on 09/01/2013 03:58 AM:

I never found postix accepting user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx. Instead, one can use
something like user@xxxxxxxxx and define a transport like
@dont.know smtp:[192.168.2.101]

That's ingenious!

Yep, I saved that post for future reference.

To be honest, I'm not sure the issue is with postfix, per se.
I've just tried a few MUAs and they all reject "user@xxxxxxxxxxxx"
with a "bad address syntax" message. I suppose you could go into
the message buffers of postfix and hand edit a valid address into
an IP one.

mailx (CLI) accepts it. It was one of the things I tried before
posting here. Postfix refused, I don't remember why, but can find
out in the logs if you are interested.

Perhaps, given a MUA that will accept that syntax and hand it to
Postfix, we can set up a debug g trace to see how it handles or
fails with it under various configs.

But I can't say its a high priority matter given Werner's idea.

After seeing how easy was to setup dnsmasq, I have no more interest
in using postfix without dns ;-)

I wanted to, previously, because setting up bind is such a hassle...
and because the machine is very low on ram.

Mutt and Postfix accept domain literals. The MTA at my mail handler will not.
Setting up a local DNS that is authorative for the local network is a better
solution. I spent a lot of time ten years ago trying to do it some other way.
Plus the local DNS solution works for SSH, etc. as well as e-mail.

Jeffrey