Re: [opensuse] Is it possible to send email with postfix without DNS?
Carlos E. R. said the following on 09/01/2013 01:21 PM:
On Sunday, 2013-09-01 at 11:22 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
Carlos E. R. said the following on 09/01/2013 10:32 AM:
The other reason you forget, is that bind is a hasle to setup and
configure. I have done it, and I don't want to do it unless I really need
it.

Perhaps it a matter of the tools you use.
Many years ago I got Cricket Liu's book. It has many scripts and there are
many more out there. There are GUI tools to take care of it.

Once I had it set up making small adjustments such as adding new hosts was
trivial .... copy, paste, change last digit.

I also used scripts to create mine. I could simply copy my files over, and
trim. But it happens that dnsmasq doesn't need any configuration at all!
It just reads the existing /etc/hosts file and produces its own things, in
ram probably.

Of course the DHCP server does updates too but I don't have to worry about
those :-)

Now it would be more effort to wipe and it and replace it than to continue
using it and occasional ... as in once every few years ... adding a hard
coded addition.

My main desktop computer uses bind. But I did not want to do the same on
this laptop. Believe me, dnsmasq is easier.

Its that laptop which does it.

Oh and a loaded /etc/hosts file.

But given a loaded /etc/hosts file the scripts produce a Bind file...

So really its down to dnsmasq being lighter, since the laptop isn't going to be doing other things like handing out DHCP.

I don't need to duplicate. Default boot on my laptop is DHCP and the DHCP server here hands out DNS server addresses among other things.

--
How long did the whining go on when KDE2 went on KDE3?

The only universal constant is change. If a species can not adapt it
goes extinct. That's the law of the universe, adapt or die.
-- Billie Walsh, May 18 2013