Re: [opensuse] Ancient laptop display goes black and does not recover (i845 graphics)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 01:48:00 +0200 (CEST)

On 2013-08-31 23:03 (GMT+0200) Carlos E. R. composed:

Ah, that was the setting for text mode. I had forgotten that command.

I don't get much chance to "forget". One of first things I do on fresh install or user creation is save the initial one, then copy a .bashrc template that includes it to $HOME.

The manual says that APM is used if available. I tried "setterm -blank
poke", no go.

The thing is, I certainly prefer the display to be off...

But the thing does not recover! :-(

With any luck, simply using setterm may be a workaround for the failure to recover. s/59/1/ may be enough, while still saving power by blanking quickly. You should only need to log in on an unused vtty rather than rebooting to find out if it helps.

Blanking alone does not save power unless the backligth is also powered off.

I created "/etc/profile.local" with this content:

setterm -blank 10 -store
setterm -powerdown 0
echo "Terminal setterm done."

Besides that, I turn the brightness down with the laptop function keys. Will see if it does not block again.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.