Re: [opensuse] Passport USB drive now failing to mount reliably on openSuSE12.3x64 system.
On 27/08/13 23:44, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 08/27/2013 01:09 AM, Basil Chupin pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On 27/08/13 13:10, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
Hi - I am running openSuSE12.3x64 and am encountering a problem that
is unique to this machine. I have a USB Western Digital Passport drive
and when I connect it, the drive is no longer working properly. I
mostly have PortableApps and jpg images on it. It often connects
initially and I can use Dolphin to browse files and folders, but
always as soon as I try to use Gwenview to view an image it
immediately disconnects/unmounts the drive. It often
disconnects/unmounts the drive immediately after it is mounted also,
but not always. Gwenview does cause it to disconnect/unmount the drive
every time I try to use it. I am not having troubles with other USB
devices (mouse, keyboard) connected via USB to this system (even on
the same USB port) and the Passport drive works fine on another
openSuSE12.2 system as well as Windoz systems. The following shows
output from messages during a typical attempt to use the drive. Any
ideas?

Marc...

I had an identical problem earlier this year (if you search this list's
archive you will find me describing what I was experiencing). It all has
to do with the Western Digital HDD and the way it is formatted
(something about sector boundaries or some such). I got fed up with its
behaviour and went out and bought a Seagate external HDD.

However, you can go to the WD site and download their WD_Quick_Formatter
(for Windows) and use that to reformat the drive - which I did but I
then *also* formatted it with the YaST partitioner. From then on it
seems to behave itself but I still don't trust it so I keep it on the
shelf and use the Seagate.

But this my experience and yours may be different.

BC

I once had problems with USB devices and solved it by using a /powered/ USB hub. I simply had devices connected that were collectively using more power then the system could supply.

YMMV

*I* am aware of this and have always bought external HDDs which had their own, separate, power supplies so at least in my case putting a strain on the psu did not come into the equation :-) .

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.11.0 & kernel 3.10.9-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor