Re: [opensuse] Nepomuk, now that it works...
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:12:12 +0200
On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Rodney Baker wrote:
FWIW, I just upgraded my main desktop machine from KDE 4.10 to 4.11 using the
KDE_Release_411 repository and it seems to be mostly very stable. I've had a
couple of minor glitches where the plasma desktop has apparently crashed and
automatically restarted, but this has not affected running applications nor
caused any data loss. I've not tried deleting the usual suspect rc files and
starting again because, so far, it doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.

Then again, I've not noticed any huge improvements (in my particular case)
between 4.10 and 4.11 either, except for KMail 2, which does seem noticeably
better. For me, the upgrade was worth it even if only for that.

One glitch that some people are reporting - I've encountered it myself
- is graphics tearing. I see it on full screen flash video, and when
I move windows left/right.

It is improved (but not fixed) by going to Configure Desktop > Desktop
Effects > Advanced and changing the options. On my setup it is best
with Compositing set to OpenGL3.1, QT set to Native, Scale set to
Smooth.

If I turn off Desktop Effects, the problem gets a LOT worse. With
Desktop Effects turned on, and the settings as above, it's Ok.. could
be better, but it's workable.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, KDE 4.11, Nvidia GTX 660 Ti with proprietary driver 319.32