Re: [opensuse] Anyone got calibre ebook reader to run?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 01:18:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Friday, 2013-08-23 at 12:24 -0700, John Andersen wrote:

I install it from the Calibre website and it works perfectly every time.
(Here is where someone is bound to jump in and complain about that, right
Carlos?)

It is not me :-)

I also install it from the Calibre site, but I know that the packagers here say that there are security issues with the upstream version that you should be aware. That's the only thing I say.

I use calibre extensively and have hunted around and found the plug-ins that
automatically rip out the DRM in all the ebooks I purchase. These then work
perfectly on any device I own.

Note: I've had two ebook providers die/go out of business
on me, and once I buy a book (and I always buy them, authors need money too),
they
all go through this process.

That's something I need to learn. I also buy the ebooks I read, but I need to learn how to make backups of them so that if the device or the company dies, my books do not die with them.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.