Re: [opensuse] Problem with USB headset microphone volume
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 13:08:41 +0200
On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Pulse/pavucontrol are sitting on top of alsa. Have you configured alsa? If
no then-

on a comman line run

alsamixer

and press F6 to first select your audio card then press F5 to see all
available channels. Look at the one re the microphone and see if its output
level is high enough - use the up/down arrows to raise/lower the volume. And
use the key "m" to switch on/off the channels (get to them by using the
left/right arrows)--the 'mm' will be highlighted if the channels is active.

When you do the above it would be helpful if you have something producing
sound running in the background so that you can gauge how your adjustments
in alsamixer are working.

Once you have this right then pavucontrol will work.

Hey Basil... same question I asked last time. I've installed oS 12.3
multiple times on multiple systems with varying kinds of audio
devices.. onboard, USB etc., and not once have I ever had to use
alsamixer to set things up so that pavucontrol will work. What is
special about your config that requires this intermediary step?

I know Pulse sits above alsa... but... the need for alsamixer... that
seems odd based on my experience.

On to Jim's issue. I have no solution other than a "me too". I've
had my Logitech Clearchat USB Wireless headset behave exactly as
described... IF.. if I disconnected it for a period, and then
reconnected. It happened once - last week actually - where I
disconnected the headset to use on another computer. When I
reconnected it to my main computer running 12.3 and KDE 4.10, the
audio, especially the microphone was horribly distorted and at a low
volume. The "fix" in my case was to restart (I had to reboot for
other reasons) with the headset connected to the USB bus. This only
happened the one time though... and I've since
disconnected/reconnected the USB receiver and had no problems.

C.
--
openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, KDE 4.11