Re: [opensuse] /etc/passwd compulsory fields
Neil Rickert said the following on 08/19/2013 09:32 PM:
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 22:58:10 +0200
lynn <lynn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK. It's not the file itself, more what I'm passing to the operating
system. I'm using sssd, which seems to copy username to gecos and
have / as the default home directory even if those attributes are not
populated in AD. It will however allow me to leave login shell blank.
getent then gives me this:
cifsuser:*:3000020:20513:cifsuser:/:
which gives the correct number of ":". I'm not sure whether it's sssd
or AD which decides on the defaults.
Anyway, a bit better.

A blank login shell is interpreted as "/bin/sh". If logins are never
to be allowed for this user, I would typically set the shell to
"/noshell", which does not have a special meaning, but will deny login
as long as "/noshell" does not exist in the file system. Any
non-existent file path would do the same thing.

Please see "man nologin" for the 'polite' way to do this :-)

Perhaps PolicyKit might be relevant.
I know constraints about time and location can be applied;
see man access.conf and various PAM modules.
--
How long did the whining go on when KDE2 went on KDE3?

The only universal constant is change. If a species can not adapt it
goes extinct. That's the law of the universe, adapt or die.
-- Billie Walsh, May 18 2013