Re: [opensuse] Hard disk weirdness on an ancient laptop
On 8/17/2013 4:07 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Saturday, 2013-08-17 at 15:19 -0700, John Andersen wrote:

Its quite possible that smartctl might not be accurate on an old drive like
that. (I would have opted for buying a
newer controller, unless its a laptop).

It is a laptop, or I would have thought of that (I hope), seeing how
difficult it is to obtain ATA drives.

Perhaps older models report values from the controller and not the disk
itself, but also it is common for there to be some discrepancy in
the UNITS used for storage

See:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/FAQ#smartctlreportstheageasthousandsofhoursformyMaxtorHitachiFujitsudiskyetitisonlyafewdaysold

smartctl reports the age as thousands of hours for my
Maxtor/Hitachi/Fujitsu disk , yet it is only a few days old

On recent disks, Maxtor has started to use Attribute 9 to store the
power-on disk lifetime in minutes rather than hours.
In this case, use the: '-v 9,minutes' option to correctly display hours and
minutes.

Some models of Fujitsu disks use Attribute 9 to store the power-on disk
lifetime in seconds.
In that case, use the: '-v 9,seconds' option to correctly display hours,
minutes and seconds.

AmonLanc:~ # smartctl -v 9,minutes -A /dev/sda | grep Power_On
9 Power_On_Minutes 0x0012 056 056 000 Old_age Always
- 323h+45m
AmonLanc:~ # smartctl -v 9,seconds -A /dev/sda | grep Power_On
9 Power_On_Seconds 0x0012 056 056 000 Old_age Always
- 5h+23m+45s
AmonLanc:~ #

Hum... that could be right, seconds :-?
Five hours sounds correct. But other values are also wrong:

4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0012 094 094 000 Old_age Always
- 10256
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always
- 455
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0012 099 099 000 Old_age Always
- 10908

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours)
LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Extended offline Completed without error 00% 19424 -

The -v command applies to a specific variable printed, so setting
seconds/minutes for v9 would ONLY correct
attribute 9, not the others as well.

By leaving it on for a couple hours, you could deduce what the units should be
set to
in the -v parameter.

Still assuming it should be minutes (because it is a Hitachi), 323+ hours
sounds like a
disk that was returned after 12-15 days of use, and not a totally new disk.
I might live with that. But I'd still question my supplier.

Power cycle count of 455 seems a bit high for any factory test regimen.

Factory testing might be 5 hours but its not going to be 300 hours.