Re: [opensuse] Slow file copying on openSUSE 12.3
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 15:24:58 +0200
On Wednesday, August 14, 2013 02:08:12 PM Dave Howorth wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
and write cacheing are enabled - do you really want that?

It is the default as set up by the install.

Just saying, write cacheing can be dangerous. Depends what you're doing.

In other news, I noticed that both of the disks reports 512 B logical
blocks, but one reports 4096 B physical blocks. ISTR there were/are some
issues with how some filesystems deal with such combinations and
alignment, and also some issues with some drives lying about what size
blocks they have. Trying different filesystems, as already suggested
and/or different drives seem like good next steps to me.

Since the problem is on / as well as an additional disk, a reinstall would be
needed. But of course I can check the non-system disk to see if that helps on
that one.

--
Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer