Re: [opensuse] cups and init open port 631
On 08/13/2013 10:28 PM, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 08/13/2013 03:52 PM, Andrea Turrini pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Hi all,

I have checked the open ports in my system and I have noted the
following strange thing about port 631:

orodruin:~ # netstat -npa|grep 631
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:631 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 1159/cupsd
tcp 0 0 :::631 :::*
LISTEN 1/init
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:631 0.0.0.0:*
1/init

so it seems that for IPv4 TCP cups is listening on localhost but what
about IPv6 or TCP? Why does port 631 belong to init? and how can I
restrict it to listen only on localhost?

Best,
Andrea

"it" (whatever that is) is already restricted to localhost, what else do
you think it is connected to?

0.0.0.0 (and :: for IPv6) stands for all addresses, so why should "it"
be restricted to localhost? Netstat says it is listening on all
available interfaces, not only localhost (as happens for 127.0.0.1).

Moreover, why does init is opening the IPP port for UDP and IPv6?

I forgot to mention that this is openSUSE 12.3 with systemd.

Best,
Andrea