Re: [opensuse] video problem with an ancient laptop
On 2013-08-13 02:17 (GMT+0200) Carlos E. R. composed:

IIRC, 5.2's 2.6.33 was the last kernel version without having KMS built in by
default. Given why that distro exists, it's pretty safe to assume it had no
KMS.

I suppose so.

Response to vga= and absence of response to video= makes it clear.

Therefore, comparing its video behavior to anything newer is little more
than a does it work or doesn't it exercise, with nothing to be learned
regarding getting anything newer working properly.

It shows that the hardware is capable :-)
If it worked with older linux software, it should also work with recent
software.

That's the theory. Tell it to people who bought hardware last century.

As I said upthread, the 845G has been, and remains, particularly problematic:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?short_desc=845g&query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr

Without KMS (e.g. in
conjuction with nomodeset, or using pre-2.6.34 kernels), vga= works as it
always had. With KMS, for what vga= did for framebuffer ttys previously, one
needs video= instead. Compare the two's descriptions in
kernel-parameters.txt.

But "video" does not work,

Can't without KMS.

and "vga" does. And lsmod shows that drm, i915,
drm_kms_helper, are loaded.

Still running Wary 5.2's 2.6.33? In 12.3, of course it would, absent nomodeset or i915.modeset=0 on cmdline.

My same 845G machine's loaded modules booted to:

openSUSE 11.2 kernel-desktop 2.6.31 - no kms
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/gx260-os112-modules2631-201104.txt

Mandriva 2010.2 desktop kernel 2.6.33 - no kms
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/gx260-mdv20102-modules2633-201009.txt

openSUSE 11.3 kernel-desktop 2.6.34 - kms yes
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/gx260-os113-modules2634-201012.txt

Xorg log says kms is in use.

Xorg.0.log running 2.6.33 kernel? That doesn't sound right for a distro intended for old hardware. KMS was in testing in the 2.6.33 period, so might have been reported to apply by mistake via Xorg or driver bug.

I don't have 'nomodeset' as boot parameter.

Wouldn't matter running kernel without KMS. With it you'd be using FBDEV or VESA instead of Intel video driver, and S L O W E R than the unspeedy 845G running Intel driver.

The display runs at 1024x768x60, I think.

That's XGA.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/