Re: [opensuse] video problem with an ancient laptop [SOLVED]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 21:06:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Monday, 2013-08-12 at 11:27 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

Linux / is 4800MB. There's room for about 6 more before it will need a bigger HD or old Mandrivas discarded to make space for more openSUSE releases.

:-)

On 2013-08-12 17:12 (GMT+0200) Carlos E. R. composed:

I had tried 1024x768x16, because that's what puppy said was the used
resolution. I'll try yours later. The '@' sure is a difference.

No go... huge white band on about 2/5 screen bottom, used area on top
left, but blinking as in out of frequency range. Worse than with nothing.

You tried with both 60 and 75?

No, for two reasons. One, that it is not reading the resolution, which causes the white band and an usable resolution of 640x480. The other, that if it doesn't work at 60, it will not work at the faster refresh either.

Must be something special about that EDID-free panel, probably "designed for Windows" and a customized 845 Windows driver.

Oh, certainly it was designed for Windows. I have never bought that brand myself, not trusting it much for Linux. For instance, the RAM modules are plain desktop modules, not laptop modules. But as I have never used W-XP on it (original disk broken), I have not been able to see if it used a different resolution.

The original documentation, which is accessible on internet, in a sort of spaghetti Spanish, with lots of language errors, says it is XGA 15".

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.