Re: [opensuse] video problem with an ancient laptop
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 03:30:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2013-08-11 at 22:19 +0200, I wrote:

Hi,

I got an ancient laptop from a friend; he thinks that with only 512 MiB of
RAM it is worthless ;-)

It has a "Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz" CPU and the video is "Intel
Corporation i845" from "Uniwill Computer Corp". The doc says "Intel®
Extreme Graphics"

In case anyone wants to know, the laptop is an "Airis GEA N619", manufactured I guess around 2002. It has lots of connectors - except the one I would like to have, a serial port -. It has 4 usb, pcmcia, firewire, printer, S-Video, VGA, flash card (SD/MMC/MS/MS), eth0, telephone jack (modem/fax), DVD RW, PS/2, speakers and microphone (no web-cam), audio line in/out. Heavy, listed at 3.5 KG.

It sure was a beauty, I guess they paid a lot of it when new. Now... Battery is missing. Had to replace BIOS battery. Hard disk (20GB) is broken, but I could find a new one (IDE) of 80 GB.

I added to it a wifi nano adapter, on a USB plug, "ASUSTek ASUS EZ N Network Adapter". Works out of the box, which has "Linux supported" on it. And less than 10€.

I want to use it to take care of downloads, instead of leaving my big desktop running. My internet is slow, downloading a dvd take days. If I need space I can add an external disk over usb.

Proved that 500MB is enough for openSUSE 12.3 - but I added 6GB of swap (which it is not using). I installed LXDE desktop.

Besides the solved video problem, the only thing I know that fails is that on hibernation I have to replug the wlan nano thing, to restart networking.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.