Re: [opensuse] Creating the distro USB stick with a simple 'cp'

"Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

El 2013-08-07 a las 06:36 +0400, Andrey Borzenkov escribió:
В Tue, 6 Aug 2013 22:13:38 +0200 (CEST) "Carlos E. R." <> пишет:

# cp image.iso /dev/sdX
# sync

And that's it! No more 'dd',

Well, dd is cp on steroids. There is no difference between "dd
if=image.iso of=/dev/sdX" and "cp image.iso /dev/sdX" as long as no
special alignment or block size is needed.

Ok...

Then I think we can go ahead and add this method to our wiki. The
syntax
is a bit easier than with dd. The danger is about the same, a mistake
in
the device name, PUFF!

- --
Cheers

Carlos,

In my professional world we work with media images (an iso is a specific type
of media images).

To keep them manageable we often break them into segments of 2 gb or less:
image.001, image.002, etc.

The well known/tested restore command is

cat image.* > /dev/sdx

At least to me that is more natural than cp. I suggest you put cat on the
wiki, but not cp.

Greg