Re: [opensuse] Ubuntu Forum hacked
Basil Chupin said the following on 07/29/2013 09:34 AM:
Right, and thanks for the info. I am glad that openSUSE has a better
reputation re security.

Sadly it doesn't seem to work out that way :-(

I had lunch last week (does Sushi count as lunch?) with a Ubuntu user who mentioned this. I thought he was Linux-savvy since he's been using Linux for a long while and keeps coming up with ideas about things to do with it. But he seemed unable to differentiate between (a) a Ubuntu specific list as opposed to something like this one, and (b) the security of a list as opposed to the security of Linux and Linux based network enabled applications in general.

While I expect this confusion on the part of journalists and the mass media as part of the headline-driven shock-horror style of reporting that seems to be the norm this day, I was very surprised to find this view on the part of someone I thought better able to differentiate the use-cases. But wtf, he was an executive type not a programmer type.

So what can we expect of the Moe Sixpack who buys his consumer electronics at Wal-Mart, best Buy or Costco?

--
We know not where our dreams will take us, but we can probably see quite clearly where we'll go without them.
- Marilyn Grey