Re: [opensuse] Expand user's encrypted home image file
On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 7:43 AM, Marco Vittorini Orgeas
<marco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday, July 25, 2013 09:12:02 AM DenverD wrote:
On 07/24/2013 11:59 PM, Marco Vittorini Orgeas wrote:
On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:18:51 PM Carlos E. R. wrote:

Am I really the only one which encrypt its files using openSUSE approach?

sorry, i can't answer your initial question (never had or used
encrypted partitions)...but, for your question above: no.

Actually openSUSE encrypts home folders by using an image file.There are
*not* partitions involved.

and AFAICT some have also had to deal with insufficient space--here
are a few i found:

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-logi
n/481497-adding-physical-volumes-existing-luks-encrypted-lvm-expand-size.htm

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-logi
n/485347-almost-no-space-encrypted-partition.html

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-logi
n/472194-sketchy-lvm-encryption-seeking-documentation-pointers.html

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-logi
n/459788-lvm-running-out-space-after-clean-install.html

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-logi
n/478414-cant-resize-encrypted-home-directory.html

Again all the links, but the last one, deal with problems abput LVM and
encrypted partitions, which are not related to my issue.

and google can turn up others..what i didn't find was a clear how it
works or answers to all of your other questions...otoh i think Carlos
gave you _the_ correct answer: *Backup* and by that i'm sure he means
an OFF machine backup..

I've tried to found something related on the web, but didn't found anything
relevant.
Naturally I would proceed with a backup first approach.I would be interested
in the details of the "expansion" process, as I said if it will proceed with
a copy+delete, it wouldn't have the space required to do such a thing.
Anyway looking at the openSUSE forums reply rate, maybe I would have better
posted there to get "users" support ?

I've never been a fan of SuSE's approach to encrypting home
directories for exactly the reasons you're run into, once you run out
of space your stuck. IMO using ecryptfs, as Ubuntu does, for user home
directory encryption is a much better approach. Because it's a
stackable filesystem you only need to expand the underlying file
system to increase space so it's transparent. Also because it's a
stacked filesystems you don't need to "resize" the mapping of the
volume like you do if using dm-crypt, see cryptsetup(8) resize.

On openSUSE 12.2+ when you install the ecryptfs-utils package it will
properly update the pam configuration and set permissions accordingly,
I wrote the pam-config patches for this and helped push the setuid
bits through. Unfortunately there are currently issues with some of
the ecryptfs-utils scripts, at least on openSuSE 12.3, which need to
be addressed in order for things to be properly setup. The biggest I'm
aware of is ecryptfs-setup-swap needs to be updated to support systemd
and it doesn't always update the fstab swap entries. In it's current
state it doesn't work and I haven't had time to fix/patch it and push
them upstream.

Enjoy ;-)

--
Later,