Re: [opensuse] 64 bit vs 32 bit RAM consumption [summary]
В Wed, 24 Jul 2013 16:37:26 -0400
Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

John Andersen said the following on 07/24/2013 01:42 PM:
On 7/24/2013 5:17 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
If you have more than 4G and are using a 32-bit machine then to use
above 4G you are using PAE, which is sad and perhaps even sucks.

Ah, NO. It doesn't suck.

In fact for many years it was the default OpenSuse kernel. Its
performance is more than acceptable on the hardware for which it was
intended (32bit processors). Still today, for any 32bit machine it
is the best route.

If you think its sad or in some way a poor performer is only because
you have never used it.

I think it sad and poor performer based on personal experience.
For a while in the 11.4 days I *DID* run both the 'normal' and the PAE
versions on my laptop. The difference was noticeable.

For a long time is was by for the most popular route to more than
4gig of memory, because the 64bit kernels were way behind in that
time.

Yes, it was a solution to that problem, and as such it was a valid
solution, if you needed to run an application that required the
additional address space.

PAE does not increase application address space. It enables kernel to
use more physical memory. Each application is still restricted to the
same 4GB virtual memory.

What is sad is that, as you say, the 64-bit kernels were lagging.